The best practices for On page SEO are as follow.
1. After you find the niche or keyword that you wan to to build your website around, then you will go and buy a domain name that should contain your keyword in it. It’s a lot more beneficial if the domain exactly matches the keyword you are trying to target but if it’s not available then try to have your keyword in the domain with an added word. For instance your selected keyword is iPhone apps, if iphoneapps.com is not available you can always try bestiphoneapps,hotiphoneapps,cooliphoneapps. Just come up with some thing that is attractive, easy to remember and still contains your targeted keyword in it. One thing more to remember is that if your domain is not available in .com then you can always try .net or .org, but I wont try anything else apart from those 3 extensions. Because .com is the top priority then comes .net and then .org so that’s another option to keep in mind while purchasing your domain name. After Domain is sorted now we will move to step 2
2. Title, After you start blog or a website you always set a title for your website or blog. Google gives a lot of weight to the title of the website now a days. So again for an example that if your site is about Iphone apps, you will give your website a title Iphone apps, if you have more then one keyword to target on a single website then you can always set the title with both of those keywords in your title. But keep in mind one thing that if you are targeting more then 2 keywords then you should be using a pipe sign | or hyphen – sign to separate the keywords. If you use any thing else to separate them, then search engines won’t consider it as a separate word. One thing more to remember is that your title should not exceed more then 73 characters because after that search engines wont read. so simply if you are targeting 2 separate keywords for instance iPhone apps, free iPhone apps. Your title will go like iPhone Apps|Free iPhone Apps or Iphone Apps-Free Iphone Apps.
3. Next comes the content, don’t forget search engines prefer to show the websites on the top results who have more useful and informative content in them. So try to add a good content to your website and try to repeat your targeted keyword for about 3% in the content. For Example this post that I’m doing at the moment is about SEO, so I am using word SEO every now and again. Here is one more trick to it that you should do, bold your keyword once , the italic it once then underline it and you can also do bold italic underline at the same time once in your content. Why you are doing this just to tell the spiders that crawl your website that these words are important in our website and our content is based around that specific term.
4. Next are the keywords which are not that much of important in the eyes of search engines any more but still you should add your keywords in the Meta tags field.
5. Contextual links, you should add links to all of your posts at your home page right at the end of your post and then links to your home page at the bottom of all of your posts in a blog or website. This will create a link wheel for internal links and spiders will crawl all of your posts from one post.
6. Always add a site map to your website which helps spiders in crawling your site more effectively and to rank it in a more appropriate way.